Saturday, August 18, 2012

Celebrate Diversity in the Classroom

Family Tradition and Heritage Project "Our Roots Began In..."

This is a project I did last year and I will do it again this year. Many of my students are first generation here in the United States.  They were asked to share family heritage and pick one family tradition to share by writing a few paragraphs about it, creating a presentation, and presenting it to the class (in various formats.)  It is a great way for students to teach their classmates about their heritage, customs, and traditions.  I also learned so much myself, as you can see I had a very diverse classroom. It helps students accept differences respectfully and become more knowledgeable about different countries around the world. The students were amazed to hear about different holidays, family routines, roles, birthday celebrations, board games, food, and more! This is a very important piece of any classroom. If you want information on the entire project (students had to research, write, and present) I will send it.  I used two rubrics to grade their written piece and presentation. It was a fun project for all.

At the end of the project the students wrote their last name on a star and the country their roots began in.  We put it up on the map and kept it up all year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment